Island City Book Club
January 16th: Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows / Balli Kaur Jaswal
Erotic Stories For Punjabi Widows
A lively, sexy, and thought-provoking East-meets-West story about community, friendship, and women’s lives at all ages—a spicy and alluring mix of Together Tea and Calendar Girls.
Every woman has a secret life . . .
Nikki lives in cosmopolitan West London, where she tends bar at the local pub. The daughter of Indian immigrants, she’s spent most of her twenty-odd years distancing herself from the traditional Sikh community of her childhood, preferring a more independent (that is, Western) life. When her father’s death leaves the family financially strapped, Nikki, a law school dropout, impulsively takes a job teaching a "creative writing" course at the community center in the beating heart of London’s close-knit Punjabi community.
Because of a miscommunication, the proper Sikh widows who show up are expecting to learn basic English literacy, not the art of short-story writing. When one of the widows finds a book of sexy stories in English and shares it with the class, Nikki realizes that beneath their white dupattas, her students have a wealth of fantasies and memories. Eager to liberate these modest women, she teaches them how to express their untold stories, unleashing creativity of the most unexpected—and exciting—kind.
As more women are drawn to the class, Nikki warns her students to keep their work secret from the Brotherhood, a group of highly conservative young men who have appointed themselves the community’s "moral police." But when the widows’ gossip offers shocking insights into the death of a young wife—a modern woman like Nikki—and some of the class erotica is shared among friends, it sparks a scandal that threatens them all.
Upcoming titles include:
- February 20th: Factfulness / Hans Rosling
- March 20th: Educated / Tara Westover
Past book club selections include:
- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency / Alexander McCall Smith
- Don Quixote / Miguel Cervantes
- Before We Were Yours / Lisa Wingate
- Lady Osbaldestone’s Christmas Goose, Stephanie Laurens
Options for obtaining copies of book club selections include:
- Add your name to the Public Library of Wilton Manors holds list. Access our electronic catalog to place a hold online. Please note that copies are limited, so we cannot meet every request in time for book club.
- Check the catalog of the Oakland Park Library.
- Check the catalog of the Broward County Library system. Members can login and place a request for book delivery to any branch.
Return to the library home page.