Island City Book Club
June 20th : The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story, Diane Ackerman
The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story
A true story in which the keepers of the Warsaw Zoo saved hundreds of people from Nazi hands.
After their zoo was bombed, Polish zookeepers Jan and Antonina Zabinski managed to save over three hundred people from the Nazis by hiding refugees in the empty animal cages. With animal names for these "guests," and human names for the animals, it's no wonder that the zoo's code name became "The House Under a Crazy Star." Best-selling naturalist and acclaimed storyteller Diane Ackerman combines extensive research and an exuberant writing style to re-create this fascinating, true-life story—sharing Antonina's life as "the zookeeper's wife," while examining the disturbing obsessions at the core of Nazism. Winner of the 2008 Orion Award.
Upcoming titles include:
- July 18th: Eternal on the Water / Joseph Monninger
- August 15th: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency / Alexander McCall Smith
- Murder on the Orient Express / Agatha Christie
- The Emperor’s Children / Claire Messud
- In the Time of the Butterflies / Julia Alvarez
Options for obtaining copies of book club selections include:
- Add your name to the Public Library of Wilton Manors holds list. Access our electronic catalog to place a hold online. Please note that copies are limited, so we cannot meet every request in time for book club.
- Check the catalog of the Oakland Park Library.
- Check the catalog of the Broward County Library system. Members can login and place a request for book delivery to any branch.
Return to the library home page.