Island City Book Club
November 14th: Before We Were Yours, Lisa Wingate
Before We Were Yours
Memphis, 1939. Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.
Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancé, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption.
Based on one of America’s most notorious real-life scandals—in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country—Lisa Wingate’s riveting, wrenching, and ultimately uplifting tale reminds us how, even though the paths we take can lead to many places, the heart never forgets where we belong.
Upcoming titles include:
- December 19th: TBA
- The Zookeeper's Wife / Diane Ackerman
- Eternal on the Water / Joseph Monninger
- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency / Alexander McCall Smith
- Don Quixote / Miguel Cervantes
Options for obtaining copies of book club selections include:
- Add your name to the Public Library of Wilton Manors holds list. Access our electronic catalog to place a hold online. Please note that copies are limited, so we cannot meet every request in time for book club.
- Check the catalog of the Oakland Park Library.
- Check the catalog of the Broward County Library system. Members can login and place a request for book delivery to any branch.
Return to the library home page.