Island City Book Club
May 16th : In the Time of the Butterflies, Julia Alvarez
In the Time of the Butterflies
It is November 25, 1960, and three beautiful sisters have been found near their wrecked Jeep at the bottom of a 150-foot cliff on the north coast of the Dominican Republic. The official state newspaper reports their deaths as accidental. It does not mention that a fourth sister lives. Nor does it explain that the sisters were among the leading opponents of Gen. Rafael Leonidas Trujillo’s dictatorship. It doesn’t have to. Everybody knows of Las Mariposas―“The Butterflies.”
In this extraordinary novel, the voices of all four sisters―Minerva, Patria, María Teresa, and the survivor, Dedé―speak across the decades to tell their own stories, from hair ribbons and secret crushes to gunrunning and prison torture, and to describe the everyday horrors of life under Trujillo’s rule. Through the art and magic of Julia Alvarez’s imagination, the martyred Butterflies live again in this novel of courage and love, and the human cost of political oppression.
Upcoming titles include:
- June 20th : TBA
- The Letter / Kathryn Hughes
- Murder on the Orient Express / Agatha Christie
- The Emperor’s Children / Claire Messud
Options for obtaining copies of book club selections include:
- Add your name to the Public Library of Wilton Manors holds list. Access our electronic catalog to place a hold online. Please note that copies are limited, so we cannot meet every request in time for book club.
- Check the catalog of the Oakland Park Library.
- Check the catalog of the Broward County Library system. Members can login and place a request for book delivery to any branch.
Return to the library home page.